Thursday, October 15, 2009

Canning, for the first time!

This one's for you, Terri!

I was able to get my hands on a bunch of apples, tomatoes, plums, and carrots. There was no way that our little family of four would be able to eat all the fresh produce before it went bad so I figured I would try canning. Julie brought down all her equipment for me and taught me how to do it. It was actually pretty easy and it didn't take as long as I thought it would. All those apples that I got only made three jars! And the tomatoes didn't go very far either! Of course we ate most of it because it was so good!! You have got to try Terri's pasta sauce recipe http://abitquirky.blogspot.com/2009/10/making-pasta-sauce.html
You won't be disappointed!!!

The final tally. Yes, I was a little bummed that this was all it made but it was just my first time. Next time I'll know that you have to have ALOT of produce to can.


And this is just a little random somethin that I made last week. It was a fun little project that I found at notsoidlehands.blogspot.com.

http://notsoidlehands.blogspot.com/2009/09/freecycle-friday-glowing-jack-olanterns.html

It's also where I found the cute cupcake ghosts that Melissa and I made. http://notsoidlehands.blogspot.com/2009/10/spooky-cupcake-ghosties-plus-easy.html

Fun website. One of my favs!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow check you out man.
Nice job.

Reed, Julie , Macie, Branson & Allie said...

I am making those pumpkins:) They are SO CUTE!

Terri said...

Wahoo! You did it! The jars of applesauce and pasta sauce look great. AND I LOVE those pumpkins. I have GOT to make those this weekend.

Missy! said...

super cute pumpkins! i love them. And way to go on the canning - that looks great for a first time...I haven't tried it yet.