Friday, September 7, 2012

Sprint Tri

I completed my first triathlon. It was awesome! I actually had a really fun time and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year. It was about what I expected although the weather wasn't very cooperative. It had been super nice for weeks before and it cleared up for the run but it made for a tough swim and bike. I didn't get a ton of sleep but I woke that morning to cloudy skies and strong wind. We made our way down to Honeysuckle beach and got our gear set up. There were actual white caps on the lake that's how windy it was! It looked really intimidating but I tried to keep my mind off of what I was about to do so I wouldn't psych myself out.
The swim wasn't too bad for me though. I thought I would get run over or kicked but people were really considerate and it was comforting for me to have a bunch of people around. I didn't feel like I was out in the middle of a lake which is what I had mentally prepared myself for. Going out, it was pretty hard to find a rhythm with all the waves so I had to swim with my head up a lot but coming back in was easier. I kept thinking that I would be able to make up time on the bike. Nope.
I wasn't worried at all about the bike. 12 miles on a bike, no biggie. BUT that darn head wind. It was coming right at me and then it would gust and pretty much stop me flat, like I had hit a brick wall. People were passing me like I was standing still. But I just kept going and distracted myself by looking for all my friends that were doing the tri too that were in different heats.
The run was the worst part. I hate running and probably always will. It's weird going from bike to run because you feel like you're going so slow! The run was pretty uneventful and the sun did come out but I did make a friend. There was a lady who kept slowing down to walk and every time she would stop running I would think that I was going to catch up to her but every time I got close, she would start running again. And I guess I should clarify... my "run" is honestly more of a brisk walk. I'm happy to do 10 minute miles. I eventually caught up to her just as she was slowing to walk and I told her to keep going and stick with me since I wasn't going anywhere fast. It actually helped me because it was easier to stay distracted and kept my mind off how much I hate running. At the end she kicked it up and beat me but who really cares honestly? I'm just glad I finished. I figured I would finish in about  hr 45min and I think I got 1hr 48min. There's lots of room for improvement but not too bad for my first time, especially considering the weather. Looking forward to next year!

Tri Traing Group but there was a lot more of us who just trained but didn't do the race.
Kellie Baker, Ivy Matheson, Kim Dance, your's truly, Rachel Morely.

Trying not to freak out...

"I'm okay! I did it! I'm still alive!"
"Now for the easy part..." 
Emma helping me transition

And I'm off!
And I'm back!
Now for the worst part.

Best support group ever!







11 comments:

Becca Bingham said...

Way to go Jenny! That is tough stuff! I am with you though I hate running, but it is always nice when you have someone to talk to. Except it takes energy. Love the shots!

Melissa said...

That looked so cool Jenny.
I'm so pumped for you and pumped for me.
One day, I'm doing it.

Shantelle said...

You are awesome!!!! I love it!!

Shantelle said...

You are awesome!!!! I love it!!

Julie said...

Way to go Jenny!!! You make me want to do a tri! So proud of you, you definitely go for it!

Krysta McClure said...

You the mama! Way to go! I'm impressed, Jen!

Starlie and Nate said...

you are so AWESOME!!! good job!!! someday I want to try one of those!

Brynne said...

Go Jenny!!! You look like an old pro. ;)

Connie said...

SO PROUD OF YOU!!!
You are AMAZING!!!

Kayleen said...

You are awesome, Jenny! A triathlon, wow! I love the support team. Way to go!

Missy! said...

wow! way to go jenny!