Thursday, November 12, 2009

All-Time Favorite!

I made this for dinner last night, it was unanimous: this is the all-time favorite dish in the Crandall household.
Ryan's Reaction: "This is the best thing I have ever eaten! Thank you for making the best meal of my life!" (said with tears in his eyes)
Carson's Critic: "Good cook, Mama!" and then he proceeded to have three helpings.
Reese's Results: He ate about as much as Carson.
With responses like these it only seemed fitting to blog about it. I found the original here but added and changed a couple of things so I'll post the Jenny version.

Macaroni Grill Chicken Milano
2 T olive oil
1 chicken breast, cubed, seasoned with s&p
2 T butter
1 cup chicken broth
2 cloves fresh garlic
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 white cooking wine
2 T flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 package bowtie pasta
Parsley and Parmesan for garnish

Cook pasta al dente and drain.
Heat olive oil in large skillet, cook chicken. Set aside. In same skillet add butter and 1/4 cup chicken broth and deglaze pan. Add garlic, mushrooms, and tomatoes, season with s&p. Reduce, then add wine, reduce again. I let it go on medium heat until there was barely any liquid left. Sprinkle with flour and cook for a minute to get rid of the flour taste. Add the rest of broth and cream. I just let it combine for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly, then threw it and the chicken in the pot of pasta and let that thicken and cook together until the pasta was finished. Sprinkle parsley or basil and serve with parmesan.

This takes some effort and you have to keep an eye on it but the rewards are definitely worth it, trust me!!! Happy eating!

P.S. This one doesn't contain any body parts! ;)

12 comments:

The Boyle's said...

Cute family pic at the top. Who took that? And I will have to try that recipe out. Sounds delic

Melissa said...

Ooooooo thanks man.
You're awesome.
Great pic up top.
I'm with Chels, who took it?

Fab Five said...

Savana took it. She's working on getting her website back up. I'll let you know what it is once it's up and running.

Melissa said...

What does Al dante mean?
I forgot to say, also that I was laughing about Ryan crying!!

Melissa said...

Also what do you mean by deglaze pan?

Fab Five said...

Al dente I think means "almost done" in Italian but I'm not sure. You just need to drain the pasta before it's completely cooked so it's still a little firm. I think usually you're supposed to cook the pasta like 8 minutes but for al dente only 6 or 7 minutes. That way the pasta will absorb the sauce more once you throw all the ingredients together.

And then "deglazing" is scrapping off the bits on the bottom of the pan. You'll have some oil and chunks of chicken left over once the chicken is cooked. So you add the butter and a little broth and then scrap the bottom of the pan. It adds a lot of flavor because those little bits are really concentrated with goodness.

And I guess I should add that Ryan wasn't really crying. He's too macho to cry. :)

We should have this the next time we come over for dinner, Milz! :) It makes a tons and I'll show/help you make it!

Melissa said...

Alright, you're on girl.
Yeah I wasn't convinced Ryan really cried but it made for a good laugh.

BrittWilk said...

yum. yum. yum. looks delicious. i love food.

and i LOVE the new pic at the top of the blog. so cute of all of you!

Ashley said...

looks yummy, I would love to try that sometime, I love the pic at the top, soooo cute!

Julie said...

Wow Ryan, crying???? I always knew you had a sensitive side. It looks great Jenny, I'm definitely going to try it and see if I can get Jeff to cry too!

Terri said...

I'm with the rest of the gang on both the picture at the top and the chicken recipe. Great job on both!

Oh, and I have seen Ryan cry once. I think it was when he was 2 and he missed a triple flip back layout with a twist while water skiing on his bare feet.

Michelley said...

Mmm. Sounds good. I'll have to try it!