Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Gwen's birthday

Gwen turned one last week! I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it, just some cake with family. But once I came up with the cake plan I couldn't not make everything all cute and girly! It was really different planning pink and yellow owls but it was so fun! 

The family came over and we had chicken salad sandwiches and fruit salad and lots and lots of candy. Then I wanted to have her open presents next so she wouldn't be a mess in her new outfit that Grandma Connie sent her. Gwen was spoiled and Ryan even admits that it's kinda fun cleaning up girl toys now. :) At first Gwen wasn't really into the baby dolls she got but now she won't put them down! And she's always loved her "pretties."


The quilt that I finally finished... a year later!


She was not a fan of the cake at first. Gwen is a very picky eater already. Even if she likes it she'll spit the first bite out before eating more. I think it's a texture thing for her. She really didn't like the ice cream though because it hurt her burnt fingers (and I don't think I ever added this picture... She touched a hot lawnmower and it got her good!!!)
But once she figured out the it wasn't poisonous and we gave her a spoon (she refuses to eat dinner unless she's holding a spoon even though she can't even use it) she did just fine. 

The whole day Gwen was just super cute and perky and fun. She could tell it was her special day. We would sing "Happy Birthday" to her throughout the day and she would get a big grin on her face and start dancing. At the party she was having the time of her life, literally. :) Gwen loved all the attention and she was so smiley and happy and just talking up a storm. I'm glad she had such a good day because I did too! Happy birthday little lady!

8 comments:

Brynne said...

What a cutie!!! I cannot believe it's been a year for us! (well, almost for us). I LOVE the theme. You did such a cute job. She looks super happy. Fun!!

Krysta McClure said...

It's been so fun to watch and compare our little ones over the past year.... Gwen seems so much more grown up... maybe it's because she is walking? Understand the talking up a storm. I think something switched over once that bday hit.... it doesn't stop around here!

You are one amazing mother! Cute cake, too!

Melissa said...

Jenn that cake is fantastic. Check you out.
And the quilt is amazing as well.
Happy birthday to sweet Gwen!!

Becca Bingham said...

I love the owl theme! Very cute shots of that little girl! I love to see when people go all out for parties, I need to be better.

Ashleigh said...

Bah! I cant believe its already been a year. What a cute, cute, cute little girl. Im so excited to come and see you guys in a month! Happy birthday gwenny penny!!

Kayleen said...

How fun to go with the owl theme. Cute decorations and cake! That quilt is awesome, too. Are Gwen's fingers getting better? She looks so happy - I can't believe she's already a year old!

Missy! said...

happy birthday gwen!

great cake!

and the blanket looks fabulous!!

Jessica Clawson said...

Holy cow that cake looks amazing!!!
I can't believe Gwen is a year old, this was such a cute post Jen!