Wednesday, April 11, 2012

In Memory

Rone Clawson
1928-2012
This is my favorite picture of Grandpa Clawson. It was taken at Jeff and Kapri's wedding in California. 
He's holding Carson who was three months old at the time. 

When I think of Grandpa Clawson I think of…

His big hands with his ruby ring.
His orange fuzzy recliner.
The smell of potatoes and dirt.
His strong voice singing the hymns in sacrament.
Visiting him in the potato cellar during harvest and having him show my how to
work the piler.
The time he had surgery (don’t remember on what exactly) and he had these massive
bruises on his lower back/hip area.
His famous horse-back rides and watching him give my kids those same rides.
Suspenders.
Cadillacs.
His shinny hair always perfectly in place, even in the middle of the potato field.
A strong, constant man that you can take at face value.
His testimonies that he bore in sacrament pretty much every fast Sunday.
The many missions that he and Grandma have served.
Tan lines in his elbows from when we did that handcart trek.
When he dressed up for the Nauvoo pageant and sang and danced onstage.
When he played Elvis at the ward Christmas party.
Sitting on his lap while steering the Cadillac home from church.

I remember when we went to Nauvoo to visit them on their mission. I remember
visiting the Carthage Jail and going upstairs to wear the mob attack was. Seeing
the bullet holes and hearing the story really made it come to life for me. One of
the defining points in my testimony was after hearing the tape of what happened
and then hearing Grandpa bare his testimony. I don’t remember what he said
exactly but I remember feeling the spirit and having it testify to me that what
happened in that room was true and that Joseph died as a martyr.

When he and Grandma came up to Moscow for Ryan’s graduation from Law
School, it really meant a lot to us. We were really surprised that they wanted
to make the long drive but it was so great to have them come up. It was an
important time in our lives and we’ll always remember how they sacrificed to be a
part of it.

I loved seeing my boys creating a bond with their great-grandpa. When we came
down to Firth to visit, Carson and Reese were fascinated by his tape measurer.
They had the best time just playing with Grandpa Rone and his tape measurer.
The next day, Grandpa brought over a little mini tape measurer for the boys and
they still like to play with/fight over it.


It's amazing that he wrote this book a year before he died.




Grandpa served in Korea.




See you later Grandpa!


6 comments:

Melissa said...

Great post Jenny.
Sorry for your loss.

Jessica Clawson said...

Thank you Jen.

Becca Bingham said...

How wonderful that you have so many great memories of him. My grandma passed away last summer and I miss her sweet spirit all the time, but am so grateful that she has retired her frail old body.

Missy! said...

Great post.
Love you

Krysta McClure said...

Loved this, Jen! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about a wonderful man.

My favorite part? "See you later, Grandpa!"

Gives me goosebumps and excitement in the promises of eternity....

Alia said...

I know that some time has passed, but I read this post before and wanted to say what a lovely tribute it is. I'm sorry for your loss but I'm so glad that you've been able to find some measure of peace.