Monday, June 6, 2011

Gwen's first week of life

The past three weeks I've learned exactly what a ping pong ball feels like! I just get bounced around from kid to kid. Luckily lots of family have been around to help out! My good friend used to tell me that she was lazy before she had three kids and I'm coming to understand what she means. Three kids is not for sissies! Gwen is going to be three weeks tomorrow and I'm just now documenting her first week of life.

First off, I should probably give some background for her name. We were having a really hard time deciding her name and if you read our blog, you know that we finally were able to narrow it down to two: Olivia and Lucy. We were pretty set on Lucy. The big day came and when I was in the recovery room, I just felt that Lucy wasn't it. Then all of the sudden the name Gwen popped into my head. We had put it on the list but had taken it off since we already had a Jen in the family and the two names were too similar. Well, the more we got to know our little girl, the less she felt like a Lucy and the more she felt like a Gwen, our little Gwenny Penny. Then came the issue of a middle name. We tired out Gwen Paige for awhile but I couldn't make that one work so I sent Ryan home to get the list of names that we made a while back to see if we could make something work. When he walked in the door of my hospital room he suggested Charlette and that was it! We chose to spell it Charlette instead of Charlotte because I didn't want to risk people calling her Lottie, plus I like the sound of Char-lette better than Char-lotte, if that makes sense. And that's how Lucy Jane became Gwen Charlette.

Our good friends, the Mooneys, came to visit us at the hospital.

Carson is always asking us to take pictures of him and Gwen. These boys love their sister!

Heading home

First picture of our family of FIVE!

Her first bath at home... she didn't really care for it too much.

As mentioned, Carson can't leave her alone. He's already a very protective older brother.

The novelty has worn off a little bit though because now he tells me that I can go get the diaper or burp cloth and he'll stay and watch Gwenny. Sometimes that kid it just too smart! But here he is reading his little sister a book while eating a popsicle, now that's talent!


Miraculously I was able to do a little shoot of Gwen at one week so stay tuned! I'm sure it's going to take a while for me to get them all edited!

10 comments:

Melissa said...

beautiful last shot Jenny. Love the colours and that crochet pattern, where did you get it?
Hook me up girlfriend.
I also love Carson multi tasking for Gwen...classic.
I'm glad you're blogging about this.
I wonder who that good friend was who was totally a lazy mother before three kids, shame on her!!
I think the name story is a good one, it has to fit and sound great and it sounds like you got it.
I think she looks like Reese? Am I right or nah? Wish I could be there.

Missy! said...

she is beautiful!

Krysta McClure said...

Beautiful shot, Jen!!! Love it! And your analogy of feeling like a ping pong... could not have said it better myself. But despite the craziness, isn't it great?! (Remind me that I said that during those tough times!) Can't wait to see more of your beautiful Gwen!

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

Wow, love the last photo. Gwen is adorable. I am so happy for you guys!!

Jessica said...

You're amazing! Love that shot of all 5 of you! And that last shot of your little lady...gorgeous!

Nayomee said...

What a cute family! She is so adorable. I love that last picture!

Brynn said...

Jen! I meant to tell you Sunday, that I loved your testimony. It made me think, "There is HOPE!" I know you are doing a great job juggling everything! You have always been someone I secretly looked up to and admired a lot. I guess I was just always too embarassed to say so:) I always thought, Jenny looks so put together all the time, and even with three kids, she still does her hair and makeup and looks AMAZIng!!!! (I want to be like that:) Congrats to you and all your accomplishments!

Debbie Thompson said...

She is beautiful, I can't wait to see the rest of the photo shoot. Also, I second Brynn's comment!

Kayleen said...

What a wonderful family! I love the cocoon shot - she fits it much better than Brynlee! You have a beautiful family. Yours is as big as mine now only I did the opposite (2 girls and a boy)!

Michelley said...

Congrats! What a pretty lady!! And it's so cute to see how excited and helpful your boys are to their little sis!